Embassy of Belgium in Washington, DC

Language: NL | FR | EN

Downloadable Forms | Emergency contact Return to our homepage Bookmark / Add to Favorites Printer Friendly Search website  


Taking Pet Bird

Traveling from the U.S. to Belgium with your pets
Additional Useful Information

Traveling from the US to Belgium with your pets

There are two levels of importation formalities:

1. the sanitary importation formalities
2. the CITES importation formalities

1. Regarding the sanitary importation formalities

1.1 For birds in general

- Your veterinarian will be able to provide you with an International Health Certificate.

On this certificate, he will have to mention the following statement:

I … (the veterinarian’s name) certify that I personally checked the animal and I concluded that the animal is in good health, fit to travel, and exempt from any usual disease associated to the specie.

The health certificate must be issued within 10 days prior to the travel.

- You must get an Import Authorization.

To do so, you must fill out the following form and return it to the Belgian Veterinarian Services in Brussels.

Application for Import or Transit Authorization for Live Animals (Word)

After Belgian Veterinarian Services in Brussels examine your request, they will send you back the import authorization. The form can be sent by fax, e-mail or regular mail to:

The Belgian Veterinary Services
Dhr. Moelans Joan
Food Safety Center, - (6th floor, office 604)
Kruidtuinlaan 55
1000 Brussel
Tel. :
Fax :
E-mail: import.export@favv.be

Note: Only the Application for Import/Transport of Live Animals form should be send to the Belgian Veterinary Services. No other forms are necessary to obtain the import authorization.

Important: The import authorization is valid for six months. An owner can therefore apply for such an authorization far in advance, even when the owner does not know the exact date of the travel and the flight information.

NNotice: As of January 01 2012 the cost for an import permit is 42.93 Euros. The office of veterinary services in Brussels will send an invoice and a demand for payment of the fee, to be paid by PAYPAL.

Important: The animal will have to travel with the veterinary certificate and the import authorization.

1.2 For Birds belonging to the Psittacid Family

If your bird belongs to the Psittacid Family, you must respect the following additional requirements:

  • The owner must fill out the form Importation of Psittacids (Pdf) for private purpose. As you will see, your bird will have to stay at least 30 days in quarantine at your home in Belgium.

    This form must also be returned to the Belgian Veterinarian Services in Brussels. They will process your request and send you back the form "Importation of Psittacids for Private Purpose" with a mention of the Veterinarian assigned to your case.

  • Your veterinarian must fill out the form Origin and Health Certificate for Import of Psittacids (Pdf). This must be issued within 48 hours prior to entry into Belgium.

2. Regarding the CITES importation formalities

First find out the scientific name of your animal.

Check if your animal belongs to the species protected by CITES

CITES is the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species, which protects many species of animals and plants to ensure that commercial demand does not threaten their survival in the wild. To know more about CITES, you can access their web site at www.cites.org

If your animal belongs to the list of endangered species protected by CITES, you must:

- Get a CITES Export Permit delivered by the American Authorities.

To do so, please contact Fish and Wildlife at the following address:

United States Department of Interior
Fish and Wildlife Service

Convention of Washington -
Office of the Management Authority

4401 North Fairfax drive - Room 700
Arlington, VA 22303-3507
Tel: (703) 358.2104 or Tel: 1.800.358.2104
Fax: (703) 358.1732 or Fax: 703.358.2281
www.fws.gov (International Affairs)

- Get a CITES Import Permit delivered by the Belgian Authorities.

To do so, the importer must submit a CITES Import permit request to the Belgian Veterinarian Services at the following address:

Service Public Fédéral Santé publique,
Sécurité de la Chaîne alimentaire et Environnement
Direction générale Animaux, Végétaux et Alimentation
Service Bien-être animal et CITES

Bloc II – 7ème étage
Place Victor Horta 40 bte 10

Federale Overheid Dienst Volksgezondheid,
Veiligheid van de Voedselketen en Leefmilieu
Directoraat-generaal Dier, Plant en Voeding
Dienst Dierenwelzijn en CITES

Blok II – 7de verdieping
Victor Hortaplein 40 bus 10

Tel Head/jefe/chef
(Vétérinaire Directeur):
+32 (2) 524 74 00
Fauna: +32 (2) 524 74 01/02
Flora: +32 (2) 524 74 06
Fax Head/jefe/chef
(Vétérinaire Directeur):
+32 (2) 524 74 47
Secretariat/Secrétariat: +32 (2) 524 74 49
E-mail Head/jefe/chef
(Vétérinaire Directeur):
Flora: anne.vandenbloock@health.fgov.be
Fauna : frans.arijs@health.fgov.be


Caution! The importer will have to attach to the request a copy of the CITES Export Certificate issued by the American authorities.

Additional Useful Information

  • We also highly encourage the owner to double check with the airline company about any additional requirements.

  • The animal must travel with the original of the certificates.

  • For information on taking your pet back into the United States, please contact the US Department of Agriculture at www.aphis.usda.gov/travel/pets.html


Search | Site Map | Downloadable Forms | Legal Disclaimer | Comments

Copyright © Embassy of Belgium in Washington
FPS Foreign Affairs, Foreign Trade and Development Coop. Belgium
Belgian Federal Government